The arrival of asparagus marks the start of spring – celebrate with this deliciously simple dish. It pairs beautifully with our new vintage 2021 Sauvignon Blanc.
- 20 asparagus spears chopped into1-inch pieces
- Rock salt
- 450g. pappardelle pasta
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 450g. baby mushrooms, sliced into1/4-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup freshly grated gouda or white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and generously season with salt. Cook pasta according to package directions until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water, and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add mushrooms and spread in an even layer; cook for 3 minutes before stirring to let the mushrooms brown. Add garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook 2 minutes more. Add stock and asparagus, then using a wooden spoon, scrape bottom of pan to remove the browned garlic and mushrooms. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add butter, pasta, and both cheeses, then gently mix with tongs. (If the pasta seems dry, slowly add reserved pasta water until desired consistency.)
- Transfer pasta to a platter and top with grated parmesan, a drizzle of olive oil and parsley. Serve immediately. (Serves 4 adults).